Pages

Thursday 31 July 2008

Favourite Things Thursday


I had no trouble deciding on the subject for my Favourite Things post this week.

DUNGLOE is a friendly small town - rapidly growing bigger. It is the town that has given a home and friendship to me and my family.

It's Festival week here!

I'm starting with a photo I've posted before, but I like it enough to show it again.
Dungloe Lake, or part of it, where various gentle water-based competitions take place.

Main Street, before the Festival started. The ladders and scaffolding have now been removed from the building on the right.

This pump stands at the top of the street. There used to be a lot of these, but now every home has piped water. In spite of that, I believe this pump can still be worked!

This is the newly-named Cope Street. The Cope started life as an agricultural co-operative, and it grew!
On the right is the new food hall, on the left is the clothing section. Walking along Cope Street towards the distant car park, we pass the sports department on the right and the furniture shop on the left.

We also pass this decorated window.

And the now unveiled statue of
Paddy the Cope
or Patrick Gallagher, the man who gathered some friends to start the
Templecrone Co-operative Society.

Favourite Things Thursday is hosted by Blue.
See her for more to enjoy.


11 comments:

Kyanite said...

What a fine choice - it is so important to love & appreciate where you live.

Roan said...

This looks like a really nice place to live. I especially enjoy a lake.

Anonymous said...

Such a lot has changed in the almost eighteen years we have been in the area.
Still the same good place to be though.

Nessa said...

What a cute town. That first picture is stunning.

CherryPie said...

I can see why you love the photo of the lake. It has such lovely reflections!

Jientje said...

Thanks for the tour, I love Ireland and it's people!
I have an award at my blog dfor you, will you come and collect it?

Nydia said...

So sweet of you to show us your city. It looks so full of clor, I like it! The Dungloe Lake's photo isawesome, with the clouds reflected on the water, beautiful.

Posted my FT already too.

Kisses from Nydia.
PS: Aileni must have laughed hard with you about my confusion! Loved even more to know you both now! :0)

jams o donnell said...

I didn't see any of those pumps this time. I used to call them water bow wows when I was a littlun!

Dr.John said...

I love your tours. Every little town should havve a festival or two every year.

James Higham said...

I can see why you chose it, DD.

Barbara said...

Great tour it looks like a good place to live, I hope you have enjoyed the festival.