Pages

Friday 4 January 2008

PhotoHunt - Delicious


This weeks theme is "Delicious". To me, that always means FOOD! As I'm currently trying to get rid of the results of my seasonal excesses, I thought it wiser to avoid anything too tempting, so I've returned to the past.

When we lived on our island, it was necessary for me to make my own bread. We were a family of seven - and the youngsters all had good appetites. I made three large loaves every day or two - more often if we had visitors!

I used to leave the loaves to cool in our one main room. In warm weather the doors and windows were open, and the smell of fresh hot bread spread far. There were donkeys who could be seen hurrying up the track as the breeze took the scent to them. When they arrived at the door it meant more bread-making soon!

The picture below is NOT of a donkey. This was Declan, our male goat. He was young, and rather pushy, and he liked bread. One day he walked into the kitchen, with his eyes on the fresh bread, which smelled delicious to him!

We were lucky this time. Although he brought two of his children with him (to distract us, I think!) he did not eat our tea.

We were less lucky on another occasion. Somehow we were all briefly out of the house, and the door had been left open by accident. We returned to find him in the kitchen. He'd eaten half of one loaf, and taken chunks out of the two others. He was NOT popular!

18 comments:

jmb said...

Great photo and story Dragonstar. After all that hard work it must have been heartbreaking.

jams o donnell said...

What a handome fellow but I;m glad he didn't get your bread that time! Happy weekend

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo Dragonstar, and well I remember Declan - and your beautiful bread, of course :-) Hope you're all well. Jess x

Anonymous said...

Great Story - cheeky little goat! How could you resist with those gorgeous kids! Must have been annoying when you found he'd eaten bits of all the loaves... he could have stuck with just one! My friends goat used to eat her stockings off the washing line... can't have done him much good, but he lived to a ripe old age! Happy New Year Dragonstar!

jennyr said...

cool thing u got a photo of that!hehehe!Want to see what's delicious at my blog? Visit Hobbies and Such!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I guess goats find everything to be delicious! LOL....

Xandra

Melli said...

LOL! Well now... THAT is certainly a different take on the theme!!! Great story!

seev said...

That goat, Declan, almost looks like the mythical unicorn, with his white beard and large ear flipped up to resemble a horn! No wonder he figured he could get away with anything, especially bread. That bread you made sounds delicious. Happy New Year, by the way!

Mommy Lutchi said...

lol, goats in my kitchen would be fun...thanks for sharing. Mine is up at 4SeasonsOfmylife and
2Cents Worth . Hope you can visit me too. Happy Hunting.

**"Liza"** said...

ohhh looks like your goat wants your deliciuos bread..;)

imac said...

Great post, great photo and great story too.

Come Swanning with me

Siani said...

There's nothing nicer than the smell of home-baked bread. I haven't made any in ages - I must rectify that soon. Have a lovely weekend!

Dragonstar said...

Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

imac said...

Hi,

Come and join me for ------

Tokenhippygirl said...

Great photo and great looking fella.

Pam said...

Thanks for making me smile!!

I needed it!! ;)

Damama T said...

I LOVE IT!! I've made bread, but have only had to fight the two-legged goats to keep some for dinner! I know I have to have missed it somewhere, but are there pictures of the outside of this abode hidden in the treasure trove of your archives? Would love to see 'em!

See you soon! xoxoxo

Sara said...

What a great story and fabulous memories. I enjoyed reading your post. I just wish I could smell the bread like the goat!!!
Sara from farmingfriends