Pages

Saturday 29 December 2007

Saturday PhotoHunt - Messy


It's been just over a week since I last posted - I can only blame this hectic time of year! Things are settling down a bit now, so I'm hoping to get back to normal. I hope you all had a good Christmas, full of peace and friendship.


For this week's theme I've raided our archives. I must apologise for the poor quality of these photographs - they were taken on a very small Kodak disc camera in October 1990, and they're very grainy. They show our first day in our island cottage. I'm standing at one end of the main room wondering where to start in all that mess. The doorway behind me leads into the small room that briefly became our kitchen and dining room (6 feet across and 13.5 feet long!). Later it became a storage room, and later still a bedroom.



These lower two pictures are taken from the doorway shown above. The horrible wall above the hearth is stained by years of rain down the chimney reacting with the smoke and ash from the peat to form a creosote coating that soaks through the mortar and into the wall. It took us many years to control that problem.



So those are my offerings for this week. I'll be round to visit as soon as I can - shopping calls at the moment.

16 comments:

Siani said...

Perfect pics for this week's theme. I've not posted much this week, either, as I had my larger-than-life cousin staying, and couldn't get a minute's peace to post, LOL. Happy New Year!

My messy pics are up at Siani's Pot-Pourri.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures remind me so much of the state of this house when we took it over! At least you now know that you eventually did sort out the mess :)

Anonymous said...

And I forgot to say - Happy New Year!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

That may be messy, but it does look like an organized mess!

Liz Hinds said...

That is VERY messy! I had completely forgotten about Photohunt: start again next week I think.

Happy New Year to you.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of work to clean that messy space. Have a Happy New Year.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Moving always involves such a mess.

Thanks for visiting our blog post.

imac said...

Looks like some taking a well earned rest there. haha.really good story too.

come and see Buckfast Abbey and the Water Wheel Mill.

Daisy said...

Gosh, sometimes a mess is so big it can paralyze you! I'll bet you are glad that mess is taken care of. It sounds like a lot of work!

Tokenhippygirl said...

Moving, always a huge mess! Happy New Year.

imac said...

Hi,
History of tree -and more- up now

Sara said...

What an interesting set of photos. it would be interesting to see what it looked like now.
Best wishes for 2008

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

I think those pics are lovely! They are a true "slice of life". Buon Anno 2008, Dragonstar! Love from Sicily x

imac said...

Hi
Wishing you and all your family a very happy new year.

Barbara said...

Hi Dragonstar,
Happy New year to you,Aileni, and your entire family.Wishing you all health and continued happiness.
I'am getting back to my blog visits after the holidays.

Thank you for the look back at your cottage.I'am sure that time has brought lots of improvements.
Wishing you all many years of joy in your cottage !

See you soon.

Damama T said...

I'm glad you explained! I thought for a minute there that you'd snuck (sneaked?) into my son's first apartment! LOL!! As always, love your stuff! xoxo