Pages

Monday 17 March 2008

Odd Shots On Paddy's Day!



Earlier I posted a picture of the Welsh flag. I should hurriedly point out that this was not intended to be an insult to the Patron Saint of my adoptive country. St Patrick's Day is a big occasion here.


So I have a mildly Irish Odd Shot today, but before I show you I'll give you a very quick history lesson.

Irish homes used to be roofed with thatch, rushes gathered locally and laid over the rafters. Sometimes the wind lifted the thatch, so twisted rope was thrown over and tied to stones left jutting from the tops of the walls. Where these stones were not available, loose stones were tied to the ends of the ropes to help hold down the thatch.



Bearing this in mind, I offer my Odd Shot for today.


For more Odd Shots, visit Katney and join the fun.

16 comments:

Jientje said...

You are Welsh and you live in Ireland?
That is great, I love Ireland!

Katney said...

That is intersting and odd.

When I visited Ireland I remeber seeing thatched roofs. Shows how old I am, I guess.

ev said...

nice site...keep it going.

Daisy said...

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you.

Silly Goose said...

Thanks for the explanation about the thatched roofs. VERY interesting. Rocks hanging from the ends of ropes would otherwise seem extremely odd.

Lilli & Nevada said...

What interesting information, and that photo is not what i expected to see, but funny and interesting

Daryl said...

The is odd .. is it some sort of counterweight used to keep the door shut/open?

mrsnesbitt said...

We visited ireland in 2006! Great holiday! Great place, would love to come back again.

imac said...

Odd Shot, is right sure enuff, great choice.

you'll love mine.

Anonymous said...

Very odd... sure does leave one to wonder :-)
Enjoyed the history lesson, also.

Kostas said...

The very good all photographs but leading this with the green clover.
Strange this with the brick!

CherryPie said...

Now that is an interesting odd shot, nice description to go with it :-)

Diane said...

Looks like the mother of necessity to me!
Love the shot btw!

dixymiss said...

Enjoyed the bit o' history with this interesting piX.

Paulie said...

Love it! Thanks for the background or I would have really wondered. I finally got my ODD SHOT up, despite Blogger acting weird today.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That is certainly odd!