Pages

Friday 14 March 2008

Dog-Walking

Walking the dog can sometimes feel like a chore. After all, she can do what she needs in the garden, so a walk isn't necessary, is it?

I've explained this to her time and again, but it never works. She, unlike me, doesn't mind getting windblown, soaked with rain, and hammered by hail - and she adores snow! She has explained to me that she needs to go out, so that she can nose out who's been where and when - and exactly what they've done since she was this way last.

She has to know!

So I carry on taking her out.

I have to admit, though, that it has its advantages. Like this lovely scene by the old graveyard wall. There are no leaves on these alder trees as yet, but the daffodils are opening well and the grass is starting to grow.


It may not always feel much like it, but Spring is well on the way.

5 comments:

Rosebud said...

Lovely photo.
For me, I know that spring is on its way, when tiny buds begin to appear on my Oak Tree, and when the tulips begin to emerge from the earth. That's around St. Patrick's Day.

We had a German shepherd that had to be walked, the same way as your dog! He would not do what he had to do in the yard. He was the most gentle, loving pet. I didn't like having to walk him in all inclement weather, but I sure miss him now.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I love that photo so much!~
Brings to mind a verse by A.A. Milne...

Daffodowndilly…from "When We Were Very Young" by AA Milne.

She wore her yellow sun-bonnet,

She wore her greenest gown;

She turned to the south wind

And curtsied up and down.

She turned to the sunlight

And shook her yellow head,

And whispered to her neighbour:

“Winter is dead.”

Liz Hinds said...

Sometimes dog-walking can seem like a real effort but I usually find that once I'm out, I enjoy it.

Damama T said...

OK - now you are making me feel guilty for not taking mine out more often.

Can't wait to see this same scene again with everything in full bloom!

CherryPie said...

Looks like a beautiful place to walk, I love the sprinkling of daffodils :-)