Pages

Wednesday 6 May 2009

ABC Wednesday, Round 4 - P.


I'm sorry I missed last week, I've not been 100% fit.
I'm not posting double letters this week, just the letter P.

P is for PIER.

I grew up knowing that a pier was built out over the sea on great wooden posts. This pier in nearby Burtonport, is a strong modern version of the piers I knew.


When I came to Co Donegal I discovered that local custom named jetties, quays and slipways all the same. They are all piers.

This is a view along the refurbished pier in Dungloe, facing away from the town. If you walk along to the end, beyond the furthest lamp, there are steps leading down to the water - if there's any water at low tide!

Dungloe Bay is long and shallow, with no water at the pier when the tide is low. The water you may be able to see at the foot of the steps isn't sea, it's part of the water from the river which runs across the shore.

For more perfect P words visit the home of ABCWednesday, and have fun.

10 comments:

Nessa said...

That's so neat. I like the one with the lamp posts.

CherryPie said...

I hope you are feeling better now. I love the seaside pics :-) I will be by the sea again soon, so I hope i get the chance for some new snaps!

EG CameraGirl said...

Pier seems like the perfect P for where you live. I love walking to end of a pier to take in the view and breathe in the air, especially if the pier is into the ocean. Nice photos!

Tumblewords: said...

Hope you're feeling better! I love piers - it's such a nice feeling to keep one's feet dry. :) Nice photos!

photowannabe said...

Whew...confusing but very informative. So many names for the same thing. Great post for the letter P.

jay said...

Piers are fascinating to me, and can be beautiful too! Sadly, the one I knew best - the West Pier - at Brighton, is no longer open. It's there, but it's a wreck, as I understand it, having been hit by storms and arson.

I loved that pier as a child, with its slot machines, fairground rides, kiosks and echoing boards. Happy memories!

On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week!

Marie Reed said...

I've always called it a Pier too:) Slipway sounds so dangerous!

Sistertex said...

I love seeing photos of your local! Piers are fascinating places so much history surround them. Nice photos...all of them.
Feel better soon!

kRiZcPEc said...

shooting two birds with one entry, thanks for sharing the P and the sky. :)

mrsnesbitt said...

o!oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo