Pages

Wednesday 18 February 2009

ABC Wednesday, Round 4 - E.

The name for Ireland, in its own tongue, is Eire.
This name occurs in many forms in many business names, even in their English names.
One such business is Eircom (which I assume derives from Eire Communications or some such title.)
Eircom is the main Irish telephone provider. Eircom powers my telephone line and my broadband connection.

The above photo shows the local Eircom telephone exchange and radio masts. The smaller mast dominated the skyline when we arrived in Co Donegal in 1990. That's hard to believe now, when I look at the size of the newer mast!

My second photo shows evening light on the sea front. The sun is so low that it's shining through the supports of the seat, making patterned shadows on the wall.

ABC Wednesday is hosted by Mrs Nesbitt. Participants can be found on the dedicated Linky page. Feel like joining in? Then publish an E post and sign in.
Have fun!

24 comments:

Nessa said...

Beautiful evening.

spacedlaw said...

I like the picture of the bench. Good E.

Kate said...

Eire pops up in crossword puzzles a lot, too. I never really understood how it related to Ireland before, now I do, thanks to your explanation!

How do I say "Thank You" in your native speak?

Wonderful photos, the bench and the sea especially is very compelling.

Anonymous said...

I'm drawn to your second one... oh, for a bench by the sea! In fact, it's a deja vu, less a bench!

Rose said...

Such a beautiful photo of the sea. The bench looks so inviting--the perfect place to reflect and wind down at the end of the day.

Jane Hards Photography said...

I went for the Manx name of the Island. That second image is one of your best. It's that light and time I love when you can use it to create such magic. E for Exceptional today.

photowannabe said...

Nice choices for the letter E. Eire is perfect.

Kim said...

The light post in that picture makes it so perfect. Great Job :)

Mamapippa ... said...

Wonderful evening photo, with the bench. I'd love to read a book there ...

Reader Wil said...

The evening sky is very beautiful! I love those soft colours. Thanks for your visit and comment.

Rune Eide said...

I liked that last photo very much - a beautiful composition and exposure. And an E of note!

Daryl said...

Oh my .. I want to sit on that bench and take photos ... Great Es!

CherryPie said...

I really love that second shot. I would so liked to have been sat on that bench :-)

Tumblewords: said...

Gorgeous sunset and shadows. Amazing how much more electric we are consuming...

Dr.John said...

Good pictures for E. f I was posting letter pictures I would post a picture of Lake Erie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I LOVE that last photo! What perfect lines, and lighting!

You should print that up big and frame it!

Unknown said...

Evening light on the sea front...that is about the prettiest thing I have seen all day. I love it.

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

Good photos. I especially like the one of the evening on the ocean.

Alice at I Was Born2Cree8

ABC Wednesday

magiceye said...

eindeed excellent!
loved the 2nd picture very much!

Miss_Yves said...

Excellent choice for our modern world of exchanges, and the evening light is really exquisite !

Anonymous said...

Eeesily winners!

Carolina said...

Lovely bench in a lovely place.

Liz Hinds said...

I prefer the second one! Of course.

Damama T said...

Oh, I would so love to be standing there looking out over the water with the cool breeze blowing on my face. I literally have a visceral sense of being there in that beautiful scene. WOW! Love it!