Pages

Wednesday 4 February 2009

ABC Wednesday, Round 4 - C.


Time for another stroll around Dungloe.

This is the old Chapel, now a Community Centre.

This is the new Chapel that replaced it.

Just a short distance along Chapel Road are some concrete creatures.

Continuing along the road we find this sign pointing to the Cope Customer Car Park.

And here is the car park

The Templecrone Co-operative was started by one man in 1906 to help local people buy animal feed at a lower price than the big merchants were offering. It started in one room of a small house - and grew!
This is taken on Main Street, and shows just two of the buildings of the biggest department store in the area.

Further down Main Street, just over the river bridge I showed last week, is a side road leading to the sea. Although the Republic of Ireland is predominantly of the Roman Catholic faith, there are a few Protestants. My last photo shows the Church of Ireland building, taken from the refurbished pier.

Well, that's my walk for this week.

ABC Wednesday is brought to you by Mrs Nesbitt, and many more participants can be found through the Linky page.

Why don't you join us?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comprehensive !

Roan said...

Nice grouping. I especially like the old church. Too bad it had to be replaced.

Rose said...

As always, I enjoyed the tour of your town. I must say I prefer the old chapel to the new one. The architecture and character of old buildings just can't be copied in the newer buildings today.

The Weaver of Grass said...

If ever I come to Dungloe, I shall know my way around.

Rune Eide said...

I have been to Ireland once - I see that I need to come again!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Definitely the old chapel, which I'm sure is no surprise to you. More Co operative schemes should be set up especially in small places like ours. The last one is gorgeous. That swoop round and the golden light is something that has been sadly missing from here.

Lene said...

You have got a nice little bunch of Cs here. The dimention of those animalstatues are funny - of course the bird is same sice as the lion, hehe ;)

Have a nice evening :)

Daryl said...

I am enjoying walking with you, Meri, but I am sad at how unattractive the new chapel is.

♥ Pernill@ said...

Absolutely lovely pictures.
Nice interpitation of the letter C.The colours are so beautiful
And it was nice getting to know your part of the world.
Greetings from Sweden.

Gerald (SK14) said...

And what an excellent walk that was

Miss_Yves said...

Lots of "C"!
The concrete creatures are funny, but I wonder why there is not a single dragon amid them !

Reader Wil said...

Thank you so much to take us on this tour around Dungloe. There are many C's on this walk! Well done! Great post.

Pat - Arkansas said...

I very much enjoyed the tour of the "C" side of Dungloe.

Thanks for your visit to my "C" for Ceramics post today.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the tour - great post.
I especially liked the old Chapel photo.

Dr.John said...

Thank you ever so much. I just love tours since I am pretty well stuck in all winter.

Alan said...

A wonderful little tour. :)

D Herrod said...

very good selection

D Herrod said...

Nice. I enjoy seeing old churches.

photowannabe said...

I enjoyed this walk in your community and all the C choices. Nice post.

raf said...

Great community there, Dragonstar. Very much enjoying your stroll through Dungloe. Thanks again!

becky aka theRAV said...

Out of all of your great shots, I liked the old church best with the tombstones.