Pages

Saturday 3 November 2007

Saturday PhotoHunt - Classic





This first photo is a normal pile of turf (peat) which is burned on the fires here. Most households use it, and many still cut it from their own bogs. The turf is stacked outside the house, and carried in to light the fire.




This, on the other hand,is a turf pile in the CLASSIC mode, arranged in such a way as to shed as much rain as possible, keeping the insides dry.


Or, if you'd rather something different, this motorbike is now a CLASSIC. 35 years ago my husband and I did our courting on this machine.



10 comments:

Siani said...

You have some great pics there for this week's theme. Some of them obviously hold some very precious memories for you, too. Have a great weekend!

jams o donnell said...

Ah turf piles. An excellent choice for this week's theme!

James Higham said...

Wild - you still ride it?

Dragonstar said...

Thanks folks!
Yes, that was a golden October, 1972 vintage.
Unfortunately, James, the answer's no. Hard to transport five kids on a 250 Kawasaki. Great for togetherness though!

Anonymous said...

How that takes me back! I haven't seen turf like that for ... longer than I care to work out.

jmb said...

I'll bet these photos are unique for this week. Peat piles. They made me smile.
The bike photo with the happy couple is really sweet. Have a great weekend Dragonstar

Maggie said...

I love the motorcycle!! I'll bet you have some really great stories from the road!

I've never heard of or seen a turf pile....it's interesting.

Thanks for checking out my classic examples!

imac said...

Dragonstar, thanks for visiting my lilol blog and for your kind words.

I found your blog most interesting , with all the news and photos.
We are debating to gravel our back garden saves time and energy cutting grass hehe. I am going to link your blog, so I will be back.

Anonymous said...

Great to see the classic motorbike. Interesting photographs. sara from farmingfriends

seev said...

Hey, that's a great (1972) photo of you and Aileni on that motorcycle! That looks like when it all started. :-) And here you are 35 years later with 5 boys. Great work! (Are they all boys?) Love those turf piles too. Very plentiful in Eire, I hear.