Pages

Wednesday 3 December 2008

ABC Wednesday - T


I took yesterday off, and I'm only now getting organised with my ABC Wednesday post!

We've reached the 20th letter this week - T.
I couldn't make up my mind what to post, so I'm offering a bit of everything.

Firstly, T is for
TIGEREYE


T
is also for
TURRITELLA AGATE.
This unusual stone is also a fossil, being composed of silicised Turritella shells. You can see the shapes of some of the spiral shells in the stones.


Lastly, here's an even more unusual stone.
These are slightly polished
TEKTITES
formed when a meteorite hit the Earth.
The heat melted the area around the strike, and sprayed droplets over a wide area.


So there you have my late contribution.
Mr Linky has given us up, so now I can only direct you to the comments at Mrs Nesbitt's Place, and to the no-comment Anthology page.


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally comprehensive.

mrsnesbitt said...

I was convinced you would do Topaz! Just shows how limited my knowledge is....or should I say WAS! Thanks to ABC Wednesday I now know where I have a ready reference at my fingertips.

antigoni said...

Excellent post!I think you'll love the first part of my ABC post.

Jientje said...

I love Tigereye.
When I got engaged to my first husband, our rings were made with Tigereye. The marriage did not work eventually, and I no longer have that ring ( I think?) but I still like it!

Nessa said...

The TURRITELLA AGATE is pretty.

photowannabe said...

Love these stones, especially the agate. Perfect choices.

CherryPie said...

A very interesting collection :-)

Dr.John said...

I have learned so much about rocks from these Wednesday posts.

Roan said...

Tigereye is one of my favorite stones.

Powell River Books said...

Those are really beautiful stones, and all starting with T. I invite you to come see my telescope post. -- Margy

Bear Naked said...

That Turritella Agate is beautiful.

Bear((( )))

anthonynorth said...

These are truly beautiful stones. Great pictures.

Kim said...

You've grabbed my heart with this post. My husband and I are both geologists. I study planetary science, so the I love the tektites. Great post :)

Daryl said...

I had no idea ... the tortoise/turtle ones are fascinating .. see how this city girl can learn to love stones!

:-Daryl

VP said...

I love the agate, but then I have a geological hammer permanently to hand just in case a bout of light fossiling might be called for!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

Jane Hards Photography said...

You really have this abc sewn up. Gary was a paleontologist at Kingston university so I know a little but your knowledge is so in depth.

Damama T said...

Where do you store all of these beautiful stones? Do you have a display case? You have so many really neat things, it amazes me! Wow!