Pages

Monday 29 October 2007

Hallowe'en Treats.

I grew up in Wales. At that time and in that place Hallowe'en was a time for small, private, children's parties. We played bob-apple, ducking-apple, murder-in-the-dark (this last, naturally, involved a lot of screaming!). Small cakes were decorated as spooky faces and toadstools. A good time was had by all.

No-one had heard of Trick-or-Treat.

Near Christmas we went carol-singing with the Chapel youthclub. All takings went to charity.

On the morning of New Year's Day, strictly before noon, we sang a Welsh rhyme at neighbours' locked doors. Then we shouted our names. If we were recognised, the door was opened and a couple of small coins would be handed to us. This was known as the "calennig". We could spend these coins on whatever took our fancy - luxury!

Anyway, back to Hallowe'en.

Imagine my surprise this morning to sign in and find my first ever Hallowe'en treat. It came from Hootin' Anni, just because I dropped by her door. Great! Here it is.



Now, so as not to be greedy, I have to pass it on.


Treats for:

jamflam - here's what I think
jmb - nobody important
siani - Siani's Pot-Pourri
teena - It's all about me!
welshcakes limoncello - Sicily Scene



Happy Hallowe'en everyone!

6 comments:

Siani said...

Ooh! Thank you for my treat! I've just copied the pic and will pass it on, too!

Teena in Toronto said...

Thanks for the treat :)

I've passed it on too.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Thanks for the link and the treat- I appreciate it. Interesting to hear about your childhood in Wales. I can remember when there was no trick-or-treat, too. We still had fun!

Maggie said...

Thanks so much for the treat! Halloween is my favorite holiday! Here in the States Halloween is a pretty big deal, and in my house we go all out for the day!

jmb said...

Thanks Dragonstar for passing this on. I loved your post about Halloween when you were young.

Valarie said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your blog. It's fun to read about what other traditions people around the world celebrate.
I keep hearing about this photohunt thing. I am going to have to check that out.