Pages

Wednesday 30 December 2009

ABC Wednesday - W & X.


I didn't manage to post at all last week, so I'm giving you a double post this week. I'm so generous!

So here I go, starting with
W for WREN.
I love the wren, it's so small and lively. I have a few items in my collection.

This is a horsebrass designed like the old Farthing (a fourth part of a Penny.)

Here's a framed embroidery of a wren, made by a friend, with an ornamental trowel hanging beneath it. Yes, there's a wren on the handle.

This is a close-up of all the detail of that wren.


Now for this week's letter, the letter
X.

As my husband was a Radiographer in his younger days, we have several X-ray radiographs in the house. The ones I want to show you today are linked with my S post - Skeleton and Skulls. They are x-rays of bird skulls.

Gannet.

Swan.

We also have a tungsten target from a Coolidge Tube.

This is about 2 inches/5 cm long, and once formed a vital part of an x-ray machine. A stream of electrons was fired at the target, producing x-rays. You can see the marks left by this in the lower photo.

Well, that's it for this week's double issue. Thanks for staying to the end!
You'll find more X words on the ABC page.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We still have a Wren skeleton somewhere.
Nice to see the X-rays getting an airing.

Kim, USA said...

Oh wow that is awesome. Thanks for sharing this...a Happy New Year to all!

ABC Wednesday:Xerophyte

Roger Owen Green said...

The X-rays are fascinating.

Betty said...

You little wren is very cute,I like the one on the trowel.
The X-Rays are very intersting too.
~~Hugs~~

Tumblewords: said...

Absolutely fascinating! Happy New Year!

photowannabe said...

Absolutely love the detail on the trowel and the exrays are fascinating. Nice gathering of W's & X's.

Jay said...

I LOVE the wren trowel! I have a friend who collects wrens, too - her nickname as a child was 'Wren'. She would love this, too.

And the tungsten target is a very cool souvenir to have.

Sistertex said...

Great post...the bottle looked as though it was half into the surface.

X-rays can be very interesting when I see one I always have to have a close up look.

Happy New Year!!

mrsnesbitt said...

I am watching a wren as we speak, feeding in the snow! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!