Pages

Friday 9 December 2011

The Weekend in Black and White


RIP Rinli.

Back on March 10th 1997, while we were living on our island, our cat went into labour. She was having trouble, and not inclined to accept help, so Youngest Son (less than 12 years old at the time) held the mother down while I pulled the kitten out.
He grew rapidly, and purred as loudly as the large Royal National Lifeboat Institution lifeboat we'd see fairly frequently.
That was when Husband named him Rinli.
His second name was Rolag, as we were learning to spin at the time and he looked just like a roll of fluffy wool.
He had many adventures in his life, including moving to the mainland and then to yet another house, but recently he began to change. Some days he wouldn't eat, some days he'd just stare into space and not seem to know what was happening. Then he started going to the toilet wherever he was sitting, then running away.
Yesterday we took him to the Vet/Veterinarian, and she found lumps on his liver. It seems liver damage can cause all the symptoms he's been displaying, and we had to make the hard decision.
He was a much loved pet for 14.5 years, and he will be missed.

Rinli perched on the fence in happier times.


Rinli looking sweet in the kitchen when he still wanted food!

For happier black and white photos from all over the world, please visit the links on the Home Page.

22 comments:

John said...

The down side of having a pet, I guess; though he looks like a real nice cat.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, losing a pet is very hard. Fortunately, you have some beautiful portraits to remember him.

Sivinden said...

Lovely pictures of your cat. The last visit to the vet is so sad. He had a good life though.

Pieni Lintu said...

I'm so sorry!!! ♥ Hugs!!!

anemonen said...

I know how it fells to loose a loving pet. I had one too once and he was white and yellow. I understand that you loved him

Carver said...

I'm sorry about your loss of your much love cat. Beautiful story and shots.

adrenalearn said...

oh, i feel yah... my daughter was like crying so much when she lost her pet rabbit. :(

Gemma Wiseman said...

I have lost a few loved pets, and my strength was the thought it is better to have known such wonderful characters than never to have known them! Delightful photos!

Jen@small matters said...

I'm so sorry. He was quite a handsome fellow, and was obviously loved very much.

raf said...

Tough to lose a good pet. They are family really, but it sounds like you afforded him a long and happy life. That's a good thing.

genie said...

What a beautiful set of photos, but such a sad post. It is a real heart breaker for those of us who are such animal lovers. Life won’t be the same, but you will heal and adjust in time. I know Cat Heaven is a wonderful place with lots of catnip, good food, play toys, and lots and lots of pals to play with. I know he is happy but he misses you all, too. hugs, genie

David said...

We lost our precious family cat (one of the two) about a year ago and I hesitated to put up a photo. It just wasn't time and I had to get over the loss. Seeing your photos has brought me full circle and I think it might be time to finally share a photo of our Maine Coon Cat, Sammy.
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. 14.5 years! What a lot of wonderful memories you have. It's a beautiful cat that you had and I'm certain it had a wonderful life with your family.
David/ Houston B&W

Rejen said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have lost you lovely cat...It is hard to say goodbye to a dear friend..:(

RobertN said...

I have a cat and fell from the 6th floor. Children were only tears. He escaped with life, and now my childrens have great care of him. We have many photos with him:)

Mildred said...

Lovely cat and wonderful shots.
I'm very sorry for the loss of Rinli.
He had a long and happy life with you and you made the right decision so he's not suffering.

***
Hugs****

Laura said...

I'm so sorry. I've been in this place several times with beloved kitties, it is a so hard. How amazing that you were there for him for his entire life, from his first breath to his last. He was beautiful and will remain ever so in your memories.

NatureFootstep said...

sorry to hear he got ill. But you had many great years with him. He looks so sweet on your shots.

magiceye said...

sorry to hear about that....

hugs

lina@home sweet home said...

Good bye Rinli...
I've ever been in the same situation before and it made me cried like a river.

Lucy Corrander : Photos said...

The death of a cat (a family member for fourteen years)is a serious life event - one which can touch on griefs beyond the immediate loss. It matters.

Serline said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I wish they could be with us forever!
Have blessed weekend!

Follygirl said...

Oh, that I'm sorry very!
I also know such bad decisions, it is always very difficult.
Petra from Germany