Pages

Wednesday 25 November 2009

ABC Wednesday - S.


This week's late entry is for the letter S.

S
is for
Skeleton and Skulls.

In his youth my husband collected skulls and skeletons. He gathered any he could find on his country walks. He even picked up small corpses, and buried them until they rotted clean.

We have very few left now, although his collection was carefully documented and recorded, and the drawings and notes still exist.

This first photo is of the skeleton of a Guillemot, a sea bird, carefully assembled from the bones found above a beach.

The skull in the second photo belonged to another sea bird, a Gannet this time.

This rather stronger skull once belonged to a fox.

All the above photos were taken by my husband - on my kitchen work-surface!

More S posts can be found through the ABC Wednesday page.

14 comments:

Rinkly Rimes said...

What a wonderful collection (Or Selection if one wants to keep 'essy') That must be one of the most original entries. Congratulations!

Debbie said...

LOL.. Bet you disinfected when he'd finished. Great collection by the way, I love looking at skeletons and old bones..

Tumblewords: said...

Amazing! Amazing. I cannot imagine reassembling bones to resemble anything. Beautiful photos and narrative!

Betty said...

Very interesting "S"
A few years ago I had a dead opossum in my freezer because My son and his friend were going to make ear rings with the bones in the hands but they didn't know that they would fall into little pieces when flesh came off.After they experimented a little while and it didn't work they didn't know what to do with the body,so they kept it in the freezer until they decided what to do with it. Then he told me after it was disposed of.I ask him what he would have done if I had found it.He said it was OK mom I hide the key.

Mrs Mac said...

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!

THat first one looks very dragony!

MaR said...

Never heard of such a hobby, lol, but the pictures are perfect for the theme.

S is for welcome SIGN!

Anonymous said...

Probably as well there were no freezers when I started collecting - my head would would still be ringing.

Roger Owen Green said...

not a hobby I would seek out, but nice photos nonetheless.

Jay said...

Cool! I love the reconstructed Guillemot!

The fox skull is great, too. So dog-like ... well, they are canids, aren't they?

Bradley Hsi said...

You husband must once would like to be a biologist. We have done all these bone assembly in our zoologist class so long time ago. I like the fist sea bird skeleton, it is not only very scientific but also very artistic.

Barbara said...

Hi Dragonstar,
What patience that Aileni has to put everything together like that !
I understand that quality; I do genealogy,and I need patience to piece together "bits & pieces" of information, and it's not quick neither !

Happy weekend to you both.

Rose said...

Hmmm, not sure I would want to find these lying on my kitchen counter:) The Guillemot is very interesting; that's a bird I'm not familiar with. It certainly must have taken a lot of work and patience to assemble all of it. Very creative post!

CherryPie said...

It makes my wonder what you had for dinner that day!

James Higham said...

Skulls, skeletons and dragons - an interesting household. :)