Pages

Wednesday 9 September 2009

ABC Wednesday - H.


I'm running even later than ever!

This week's letter is H, and
H
is for
HORSE BRASSES.

For those of you who don't know of horse brasses, Wikipedia has a brief description here.

I grew up loving brass ornaments - my mother collected many - but we only ever saw horse brasses in hotels and cafés.
In recent times I've been able to gather a few. Some are very old, others are more modern. When I have more I'll probably be able to arrange them more suitably.

These hang in the hallway.

These are by my husband's desk. He's had the dolphin brass for many years.

And these are in my son's room.

I hope to find many more designs eventually.

Do visit the ABC Wednesday page to find heaps of H entries!

11 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

Ofcourse!
Dxx

Sistertex said...

I have seen these before but never really knew what they were, thank you for enlightening me! Very interesting pieces of art, I think. Do you need to polish them up occasionally? Very nice.

Tumblewords: said...

Fascinating! These are absolutely a collector's dream!

Anonymous said...

The dolphin brass was a particular favourite of my father's - it was identical to the Merchant Venturere's
emblem of his school.
Mother started collecting them when we lived in Devon 65 years ago.
I am glad you have added to them.

James Higham said...

Dragon horse brasses?

Daryl said...

these are fascinating ...

Jay said...

The dolphin one is particularly nice, isn't it? It does look old!

I've often been tempted to collect the ones with greyhounds in them.

On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week. :)

Rose said...

These are such interesting pieces; I can see why you would want to collect them. I've learned more about horses and accessories on this ABC Wednesday than I ever knew before!

Nydia said...

There is always something new for me to learn here, Meri!

Lucas is going so well at school I can't believe, and can't be happier for this! :o) In a few minutes I'll fetch him.

Kisses from us with much love.

Roger Owen Green said...

very attractive pieces

Linda Jacobs said...

I've never seen these before. Thanks for posting them! They really are attractive and interesting!